Man moving items from house

Your bags and boxes are loaded (or in the process of being loaded) and you are just about ready to leave your home for the last time, ready to move into your latest property. However, hopefully you will have done the following beforehand, otherwise things could begin to get a little tricky. When you move house, you need to tell certain people that you are doing so, for legal and financial reasons. This is who to tell you’re moving house.

Energy/Utility Providers

Before you move home, there are a few things you need to do. You should take a meter reading for your gas, electricity and water if possible. If you are unable to do this yourself, contact your supplier and they will be able to send an engineer to do it for you. So why contact them? Well firstly, you will need to inform them that you are planning on leaving the property in the future. As well as the metre readings, you will need to provide them with the new address and any meter serial numbers if you are intending on remaining with them once you have moved. You will be surprised how many man and van services in Chelsea that we have done and the customer has forgotten to clear up any final bills.

Communications Suppliers

Just like the above point, you should contact your communications supplier too. Whether it be BT, Sky or Virgin – all of them will have a dedicated home moving department to help make the transition as smooth as possible. There isn’t usually too much involved in all honesty, simply give them the dates that you would like the supply to stop from and they will arrange the rest.

This will not affect the quality of the supply you are currently receiving, everything will stay the same until the agreement comes to an end.


Contact your local council to inform them of your move. The last thing you need is to be paying someone else’s council tax once you move home. However, when you arrive in your new property and you are setting up payments, standing orders and so on the council will recognise the change in address. If you can contact them before they contact you, it will make your life a lot easier.


Your employer will need to know your new address for any future wage payments. It is usually a simply process. The best way to do it is to contact a member of the HR team if they have one and simply pass across the new address. If there is no HR department, your manager should be able to get things sorted for you.

Friends and Family

You will be surprised. We have completed so many removals in Kensington when members of the customer’s families have arrived to the site of an empty home and a full removal van! Make sure that your direct family are aware of your move. You can inform the distant relatives once you have settled.

Previous Post Office Relocation Services
Next Post Removals for Pensioners